Monday, August 10, 2009

Resourceful

Yesterday we were out all day running errands, while Marcus went car shopping with his mom. We were running so late that we decided to catch a bite to eat out, so that when we got home all we needed to do was get the girls to bed. This turned out to be a GREAT idea on our part! After eating dinner I got a REALLY bad head ache and asked Marcus if he would drive the girls home and put them down, while I drove the other car to drop off his mom and sis, fill up with gas, and pick up our groceries I had left in their frig while we ate dinner. But my headache proved to be too bad (I could barely see to drive home), I was in so much pain I decided to just go straight home and skip everything else. Marcus called me when he got home and informed me that the power was out in the house.....FANTASTIC!!! He proceeded to start getting Kaylee ready for bed, by the time I got home he had her stripped down and teeth brushed. She greeted me in the driveway in her birthday suit with one of those flashlights you wear on your head. I just had to laugh, and wish I would have had my camera handy! That was the only way they could see to brush teeth, because the bathroom was so dark, good thinking daddy and Kaylee loved the idea of using the flashlights to brush teeth. Marcus and I had to explain to her a million times why the lights switches were not working and she finally agreed that "the worker man had to come fix them, and put new batteries in them." Marcus called the electric company to find out what the deal was with the lights and they said that it was being worked on and would be fixed shortly. Thankfully it was, and we were only without power for a couple of hours. If we wouldn't have eaten out, we wouldn't have been able to cook our dinner at home.

After leaving my groceries at my in laws house last night, I realized that I had NO food for Ainslee. Well I do have some carrots and spaghetti squash, but I really didn't want to give her that for breakfast. I looked in the pantry and found some dried apricots that I bought when I was pregnant, they are packed with vitamins (cant remember which ones), but I just couldn't stomach them when I was pregnant, I would throw them up almost every time. And Kaylee used to love them, but decided one day that she wasn't going to eat them anymore. I must have just forgotten about them, and good thing because I needed them now. I decided to boil some water and soak them for a few minutes to soften them, and then mix them in the blender (using the water I soaked them it to soften them a bit). So now I have a wonderful breakfast for Ainslee for the next couple of days.

Oh and last night at dinner, I forgot to pack something for Ainslee to eat while we were at the restaurant so she had to eat off our plate. She tried our garlic mashed potatoes and chicken. Ainslee about came out of our skin with delight when she experienced the sheer goodness of the mashed potatoes.

2 comments:

Crista and Harry said...

Great Story! I can just picture Kaylee with her flashlight on her head!

Wanting What I Have said...

it sounds like you have had your hands full, too! very good thinking with the apricots! I will have to try that when MC gets a little older. I bet it's a lot less $$$ than buying them already made. and how hilarious...kaylee with that flashlight helmet. sounds like something i'd come home to! :)