Friday, August 14, 2009

Attachment and Obsession

Is it possible, at 6 months old, that a child could be so attached to an item that, in its absence, it would not be possible for her to go about her normal routine?

Today, like every other day before a trip, I was frantic about getting EVERYTHING done! I couldn't sit down, there was wash to do, dishes to clean, floors to be swept and reswept (I despise coming home to a dirty house), children to be bathed (did I even take a shower today?), bags to be packed, car to be cleaned out, car to be packed, lists to check and recheck, and more laundry to do.

In my get ready for our trip frenzy I decided to wash all of Ainslee's blankets. If you know Ainslee you know that she has been a thumb sucker, blanket chewer, insatiable oral fixator, for about the past 3 months now. She hasn't really shown a preference to any particular blanket or object in the past. However I do have a blanket that I put in the crib with her all the time, just like I did with Kaylee, and I even have a spare of the exact same blanket. And because the love she has shown for having some sort of "blanket" I decided to make her a few extras that way we can always have one on hand. I will post more on those blankets another time.

Like I said I decided to wash all of her blankets for the trip, I am not quite sure what I was thinking at the time, I could have at least kept 1 out for her. Anyways so it was time for her afternoon little cat nap, and I tried and tried and TRIED to get her to go down. She usually goes down without a fuss at all. And she was so exhausted that she just about rubbed her poor little eye raw. I felt so sorry for her. And in hindsight, I wonder if she refused to go down because she did not have ANY of her blankets in the crib. I did give her a replacement blanket, but I guess it wasn't good enough.

I am really scared about having her be SO attached to a particular item. What if I forget it? It is really nice that Kaylee has her special blanket, but if she doesn't have that particular one she is completely fine with a replacement, or no blanket at all. Ainslee is going to be the child that has her blanket in the car, while shopping, outside playing, watching TV (no wait my kids don't watch TV), at a friends house playing, and basically everywhere.

Oh and WHY IN THE WORLD AM I BLOGGING NOW??? I told myself I was going to go to bed early tonight, and here I am blogging. Let's see who is the one that is obsessed? I am not going to check FB at all tonight (not like I've been on there much lately anyways) I refuse to waste anymore of my precious sleep.


Are your children attached to a particular object? At what age did they develop this attachment?

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I can relate since Maggie is still thoroughly attached to my boob. Either one will do. Seriously, even though her nursing days are pretty much over, I think she still likes to make sure they are under there just in case:)