Saturday, August 22, 2009

Frozen

When we got home from our trip this week I noticed that the fridge wasn't quite as cold as it usually is. I just attributed it to the fact that it was crammed full. In hindsight I should have realized that it hadn't even been opened the past 4 days, so it shouldn't had had a problem staying cold. My first clue was when I took a sip of my OJ the morning after we returned, it was more like room temp than like I just pulled it out of the refrigerator. When I went to get Kaylee's frozen berries for her oatmeal, I thought to myself that they weren't quite as solid as they usually are. Later that evening I realized that stuff in the freezer was thawing. I could hear the freezer running, but it wasn't keeping the stuff frozen. Maybe I had left the door open, or maybe Kaylee had, I could figure out what was going on. The next morning, the milk I had pumped the night before and put in the freezer was still NOT frozen. I decided then to transfer everything to our deep freezer and little fridge in the garage. I threw away most of the stuff in the fridge just to be safe, including a couple bottles which really made me mad. I think my wasted bottle count is up to like 10 now, and it kills me to have wasted so much precious milk. After transferring all the items I noticed ice all on the back wall of the freezer. It was kind of like that snow cone ice. I took this opportunity to really clean out the freezer, I took out all the shelves and the drawer, and scrubbed them. It is amazing how nasty it can get, I mean how often do people actually empty their freezer and clean it out? well around here it MIGHT happen once or twice a year.
I called a friend of the family who is a retired GE repair man and explained my problem, he told me exactly what part was broken and what to do. I began defrosting the freezer immediately, as in I was still on the phone with him when I poulled it away from the wall and found the small dog that had taken up resisance underneath. He suggested that I get lots of towels to soak up the water and get a put a blow dryer on low on one of the shelves. It took about 2 1/2 - 3 hours for it to be completely defrosted. He said after I defrosted it I would be able to turn it back on and usee it, but that the same thing would happen in about 7-10 days. He also said that he wouldn't be able to come out and fix it for us, so I decided to call America Home Shield, I mean that is why we pay them every month so that if something breaks they fix it. It was then that I learned our deductible has gone up AGAIN (I was probably sent something about this in the mail, but once again either I forgot or never read it in the first place). They scheduled a repair man to come out Friday to fix the problem. So hopefully now we wont have to deal with that appliance having any other problems for a few years, or NEVER!

So what's next? Dont bad things usually come in 3's? The freezer, the Jetta, what is next?

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Girl, don't ask "what's next"! You probably don't want to know! :)

Thanks for checking in on NLH...I think I've gotten all the bugs worked out...maybe.

Glad you had a good trip and are home safe and sound...even if you did have the frigde to contend with when you got back. Hope it all gets back to normal soon!