Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2 Years Ago Today...

I can hardly believe that 2 years ago, my terrified self walked into the hospital to deliver my first baby. I was scared, excited, nervous, anxious, and DYING to meet the little life that had been growing inside me for 9 months. My life was changed forever at 5:15 pm when the wait was over. I finally met my beautiful baby girl, and I was officially in heaven!

The day is still so clear to me. I remember so many details about that days events.

I remember telling the doctors and nurses that Marcus (and only Marcus) was to announce the sex of our baby when he/ she emerged. And then when the moment came, Marcus stumbled over his words, the doctor showed her to him, but apparently her arm was blocking the important identifying parts so he said "it's a.....it's a", and it seemed like hours had past (it was only about 1/2 a second) before my impatient self said "what is it?" And both Marcus and the doctor told me she was a girl.

I remember we had variations of Kaylee's name written on the white board in the room and the nurses and doctors helped us decide on the spelling.

I remember watching Marcus as he proudly texted everyone announcing her birth, and then him reading all the response that flooded our phones.

I remember just staring at her and being so proud and happy she was finally with us.

I remember watching as everyone held her, and seeing the looks on the faces of all her aunts, uncles, and grandparents who waited so patiently in the waiting room for the news of her arrival.

I remember watching as my little brother sat in the corner trying desperately to avoid holding her.

and the list goes on, I hope that those memories are with me for the rest of my life!


Now on to today......
I started the morning off telling her it was her birthday even before I took her out of her crib. We have been working lately on putting up 2 fingers, so i told her that she was 2 and we practiced some more. She can put up 1 finger but she seems perplexed as to why her fingers wont cooperate when it comes to putting up 2 of them at the same time.
Then it was time for breakfast. While I was making her chocolate chip pancakes she devoured a banana. After 3 pancakes and a whole banana she was still hungry so she ate an entire pear. She washed it all down with her usual cup of OJ. She said she was still hungry but i decided to take a break from eating for a while.
I had to give her a bath after breakfast because she had chocolate smeared over much of her body. After her bath we played for the rest of the morning until nap time. I was able to successfully teach her how to respond when someone asks, "how old is Kaylee?" She says "two" and holds up her entire hand. It is really cute! (but who am i to judge, moms are always prejudicial) After nap it was time to leave, so we headed over to grandma's house. Grandma greeted her at the door and as Kaylee ran through the house she stopped when she saw the birthday balloon my mom got for her. It was attached to a grocery cart filled with toy groceries that Kaylee could have cared less about. she was enthralled with the balloon! Thankfully my mom was not upset, she actually thought that Kaylee would like the balloon better. After eating a quick bite for lunch, I headed off to another dreaded OB visit, where I was to sit in the waiting room for nearly 1 1/2 hours, waiting to be told that I have to come back in 2 more weeks to do it all over again. YIPEE! I was able to run a few errands before my doctors appointment though. After my appointment was over i headed straight to pick her up. I hurried her into the car because it was dinner time, and we still had to drive home, which means that bedtime was going to be delayed. My friend Katie called right as I was leaving mom and dad's house, and while talking to her i realized that it was the exact time that I had delivered her, 5:15 pm. Katie told me where she was when she got the text message that evening and her reaction when she heard that she was a girl. That was really sweet to hear her tell the story.
When we got home, Marcus (and Tahoe) greeted us in the driveway. Marcus scooped her up (this is the first time he saw her all day) and they hugged and kissed. I showed him how she knows what to say when asked how old she is and he got that "I'm so proud of her" look on her face when she responded accordingly. I just love seeing the 2 of them together! After giving Oreo and Tahoe nearly an entire box of treats, we went inside. She did not seem hungry, and who would be after leaving my dad's house. He feeds her like a starving child every time he gets his hands on her, like i said before, I guess that is his way of "bonding" with her. I gave her a few bites of crackers and something to drink. She danced to her Sugarland song, I lost count after 3 times of hearing it. She played hide and seek with daddy for a few minutes before he whisked her off to get her ready for bed. Daddy was on bedtime duty tonight, so he brushed her teeth, put her on the potty, got her dressed, read her books, and put her to bed.

It is still so hard for me to imagine that we are about to do it all over again with another baby. I can only imagine the memories I will have in 2 years time.

No comments: