Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Yummy Beef and Broccoli

In my endless attempt to find and try new recipes, so that we arent always eating the same thing, I decided to buy some beef stew meat, and then figure out what i was going to make with it. This was the first time i have tried organic meat too. I was really excited about trying a new recipe with my new kind of meat. (I guess simple minds ARE easily amused) I got online at home after buying the meat and searched for possible recipes, I get most of my recipes online, I love the convenience of it. While searching one of my favorite recipe sites, www.epicurious.com i came across a beef and broccoli recipe that caught my eye so i decided to try it. I made a few minor adjustments to it and it turned out FABULOUS!

My Changes:
-I used beef stew meat instead of sirloin tips, I am going to consider using a different type of meat next time
-I used sesame oil and olive oil, instead of vegetable oil. I just love the flavor of sesame oil, and think that it makes Asian dishes much more tasty
-I made WAY more sauce using chicken broth (it was the only kind i had on hand), soy sauce, and corn starch. In my opinion, the more sauce the better, and this recipe did not make much sauce at all
-i used fresh broccoli instead of frozen
-Apparently i didnt even use the water that the recipe called for either, in my rush to prepare the meal i must have skipped that ingredient. I just now saw that when i was going over the recipe again. hahaha, i am such an idiot!
-next time i will be sure to add fresh ginger too, i think that will really taste nice!

I guess i made more changes than i thought, but it was a really quick meal to prepare. i served it over a bed of freshly steamed brown rice. We all munched it up, especially Kaylee, she LOVED it!

I think the best part about it was that it was gluten free without making any adjustments. That is thrilling in itself! Gluten free that tastes good and is easy to make, I'm sold!

try it for yourself sometime and tell me what you think

No comments: