Monday, March 3, 2008

Bahama Breeze

I already know before I write this post that what I am about to say will not be as funny as it was in person. I guess that it is one of those "guess you had to be there moments." But I thought that I would go ahead and write about it anyways.

Marcus, Kaylee, and I were out running errands (and picking up my new sewing machine, I’ll tell you more about that in another post) on Saturday; we had a couple of Bahama Breeze gift cards burning a hole in our pocket, so we decided to eat dinner out. As you can imagine, it was packed! We got our little pager thingy and waited for the next available table; we were told the wait would be about 45 minutes. It was already 45 minutes past Kaylee’s dinner time and the grapes I had packed for her just weren’t cutting it anymore. So we walked outside, where a man was singing and playing the guitar and steel drums. I thought, if nothing else, at least he might entertain Kaylee for a little bit to distract her from her growing hunger pains. Then we saw an opening. Someone had finished their meal and left, I quickly asked a waitress if we could order off the full menu outside (because you used to be limited to appetizers when sitting outside). She said it was first come first serve and you can order whatever you want. So we raced over to the table to sit down. We ordered our meal, the usual Lobster and Shrimp pasta for Marcus (YUCK!) and Wood Breeze Grill Chicken (full portion) and a side of plantains for Kaylee and myself. When the food arrived I frantically cut up pieces for my ravenous, malnourished daughter. I could not cut the food fast enough. And forget trying to take a bite for myself, are you kidding me! As the food on my plate slowly disappeared into Kaylee’s vast abyss, AKA her stomach, I decided to try giving her some of my plantains. She has had a few small reactions to bananas but I decided to try them again. So I cut up 3 pieces and put them on her plate along with everything else that she was eating faster than anyone could ever imagine. Side note: she has become MUCH more aware of what she wants to eat, and very selective about what she eats and when she eats.
She notices the new additions to her plate and decides to try 1 of them. She picks it up, touches it to her lip while she licks it a little bit, makes a funny face (like it was the most disgusting thing she has ever tried), and then calmly places the piece of plantain on the table NEXT TO her plate. Marcus and I noticed this, we were watching her every little picky move. Then she immediately turns back to her plate and goes straight for the 2nd piece of plantain. She does the EXACT same thing. By this point Marcus and I were dying laughing, but trying not to let her know we were laughing because we did not want to draw any attention to what she was doing. Then she notices the 3rd, and last, piece of plantain on her plate. This time the piece actually made it into her mouth, but not for long. She quickly pulled it out and placed it ever so gently next to the other 2 pieces of plantains on the table. After she removed all the pieces of plantains from her plate she went about eating everything else, stopping right on cue to clap for the live entertainment whenever a song was complete. We even tried to sneak the pieces back onto her plate, but somehow they made their way back off the plate and onto the table. Then when almost all of her food was gone, she decided “well I am still hungry, might as well eat those nasty things.” So she just picked them right up and ate all three of them. We couldn’t quite decide if she was just saving them for the end of her meal, or if she ate them out of sheer desperation. Either way, it was so hilarious!
I am scared to say that we are entering the new realm of Kaylee actually having an opinion and actually voicing that opinion. Please help me!

No comments: