Monday, April 14, 2008

How I know I am getting old

I always knew that it would happen but i didnt think that it would be so soon!
I had my alumni weekend for the University of Memphis this past weekend, and let me just tell you about the events. So Friday night was the "alumni game." i was terrified of getting hurt in a stupid friendly game and then having to hobble around taking care of Kaylee. I took all the precautions to NOT get injured....i went for 4 jogs in the 2 months leading up to the game (like that really helped) i got my rickety ol ankles taped (in fear of tearing more ligaments), and i spent about 5 minutes stretching before going onto the field (stretching what i dont know, cause there sure arent any muscles left in these legs).
All I can say is someone was definitely looking out for me when the organizers decided to have a few small sided games instead of one game on the big field. Are you kidding me? i could not have played on a big field to save my life, and expecially not against the current team (that is what has happened in the past, the old out of shape alumni play the current team. how fair is that?) So we all get to the turf room and gear up for the big event, we (all the old alumni) were laughing and joking about how out of shape we all are, i think i was the only one NOT joking. They told us that we were going to play 5 games each 4 minutes long. i thought to myself "4 MINUTES, AWESOME, I can handle that!" Let me just say that 1 minute into the FIRST game i thought that i was going to have to go to the hospital. This is the best way for me to describe my experience. My mind knew what it wanted my body to do but i think that my legs were glued to the turf, i couldnt move, i felt like my legs weighed 100 pounds each. and when i tried to pass the ball it definitely did not go where i had intended it to go. i honestly think that i spent more of the 4 minutes on the turf than i did standing on my feet. i guess it was good that we could all laugh about how ridiculously silly i looked out there! even Kaylee, one time when i went after a ball that was near her on the sideline i looked up at her and she was even laughing at me too!
i got through the 1st game, THANK GOD, and then moved on to the 2nd. That one got a little better, by which i mean my legs were actually moving a little bit, i was able to stand on my feet the entire game, and a few of my passes actually hit the target. I think i might have even scored that game too. Then comes the 3rd and most memorable game. I was so winded by this point i was playing what my coaches used to call "kick ball" (its when you are too tired to do anything so you just kick the ball whenever it comes to you) anyways the ball came to me in the center of the field and i saw a small chance to score so i just kicked it as hard as i could towards the goal, and from out of no where a player from the other team deflects the ball and as it is coming back towards me at 90 MPH i tried to move but couldnt and it hits me smack in the middle of my face. it hurt so bad, all i could think was i have been hit with MANY balls and why does this one hurt so bad? then brooks (my coach and the current coach) comes over to check on me and says "you alright?" i said "yeah" then he laughes and says "hahaha, that just makes you feel young again!" and i thought to myself if that is what it takes to feel young again i am perfectly content with getting old. i finished the rest of the games and to my suprise i was actually able to walk under my own power back to the truck. I thought for sure that i would be on the couch for the rest of the weekend, but it really wasnt that bad the next few days i was a bit sore but not bad. When i was playing all my sports i ALWAYS said to myself that i would never be out of shape and undisciplined, i guess thought that i would just magically stay strong, limber and in shape.......the saying is true "if you dont use it, you lose it!"
i have decided that before the next alumni game i am going to at least make a better attempt to get into shape. Damie, i am going to need some tips from you.

If anyone is interested, the University of Memphis girls are AWESOME! We are so excited about the upcoming season, if anyone wants to go to some games with us let us know. They have not put their 2008 schedule up on their website yet.

No comments: