Thursday, December 9, 2010

Educate Me

Each night we complete our bedtime routines with the girls. I told you about Ainslee's the other day, but now let me tell you a little bit about Kaylee's. It used to be 2 books, sing 2 songs, and tuck in tight. Now almost every night she chooses to play "games" on the iPad instead of reading books. Now before you go off and judge me, let me explain. First of all they are mostly educational games. And the ones that are just "games" are still teaching her things: taking turns, following directions, cooperation, hand/eye coordination, communication, and most importantly learning the hard lesson that you dont ALWAYS win! Playing games, even if they are of the electronic variety, is an invaluable learning experience. Now dont get me wrong, she doesnt play the iPad or other electronic games all day, she usually only gets to play before nap and bedtime.

Last night we were playing one of her favorite games called "Little Things". It is basically a Where's Waldo, with little things. There are different pictures and you have to find specific things hidden within those pictures. I have to say Kaylee is pretty darn good at the game! She is very perceptive and aware of her surroundings so it is no surprise that this game comes easy for her. I have to say that I am pretty good myself, when I can figure out what they are asking me to find. Here are some examples of the confusing ones: dollar, I would assume they meant a dollar bill, but they meant a dollar sign as in $. Mortar and Pestle, I just had NO IDEA what this one was! I had to use a hint to find it. Music player, that's an iPod! Why didnt they just say iPod? Tablet, whats the 1st thing that comes to mind when you hear that word? Now I know all the Irish will get this one correct, but over here I would say most people would think of a tablet of paper. When they said tablet, they were referring to a pill. These are just some of the things that have kept the game interesting and me on my toes. Here are a couple snapshots of the game I am talking about...


This part i am about to tell you is the whole reason why I decided to write this post to begin with.

How I know my daughter is part Mexican......last night we were playing the game and in the list of things to find was the word "chilli". (that is not a typo, that is how the word was spelled in the game) I was confused by this, was it someone who was chilly? Was it a bowl of chili? After thinking to myself and looking around the at the pictures for a few seconds, Kaylee says "There it is mommy! I found the chili!" And she points to a chili pepper! She was right, they were looking for a chili pepper, so why in the heck couldnt they have said, chili pepper? My little Mexican could spot a chili pepper from a mile away! I love that little girl!

No comments: