Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thumbing through the pages

When magazines come in the mail I let Kaylee play with them. She looks at all the different pictures and practices flipping the pages. She enjoys ripping the pages and carrying them around the house. Today a ToysRus catalog came in the mail and I thought "maybe she will show me what she wants for Christmas." What was I thinking? I guess I was hoping she would make it easier on me. She flipped through the magazine asking what everything was on every page. But what I noticed this time that I have never seen her do before is lick her finger before she turned a page. You know how people lick their finger to get a better grip on the page so they can turn it with ease. Well where did a 21 month old learn that trick? What was even more funny was that she would lick one finger and turn the page with the other hand. It makes me think about all the little things I do that she watches everyday and those little things I do, no matter how insignificant they seem to me are having an impact on her and shaping her to be the person she is going to be. My lesson here is don't do anything I don't want to see her doing one day. She is a little sponge soaking it all in, she may not show me what she knows right now but one day she will.

Ugh what a scary job it is to be a mommy!

No comments: