Saturday, October 25, 2008

Can anyone feel safe anymore?

Friday night I was home alone (well Tahoe was with me). Kaylee was spending the night with grandma & grandpa, and Marcus was at work, like he is every weekday night. I took advantage of my night alone by getting some things done that have been on my "to do" list for weeks. It was a regular night, up until about 2 am. It was then that I was rudely awakened by the house alarm blaring. I rushed out of bed to see what could be the problem. The alert on the alarm system said that it was a window in the front of the house or the master bedroom window. I looked out at the driveway but saw no car then I checked out the dining room window, which is the window that we have had trouble with in the past. I saw nothing that caused me any further alarm so I called Marcus to tell him about it and then tried to go back to sleep. I rolled around for about an hour thinking about different senerios and my plan of action if something further were to happen. I debated on whether or not to load the gun. I mean what else is a woman to do out here where she could scream and no one would hear her? I decided to get up and take another look to ease my mind. Again I found nothing suspicious. The alarm was still showing a breech in the system so it would not let me reset it, so that was alittle unsettling. But I just thought that the dining room window lost its connection. I decided to try taking a bath in an attempt to calm myself and make it easier to fall asleep. The bath worked and I was able to fall asleep for the rest of the night. Marcus said that he would look at the front window when he got up, so I called my dad to come over to help and take a look at the window. They fixed the dining room window, but the alarm system still would not reset itself. Then, as they walked toward the garage Marcus noticed that the garage window was open. The top AND bottom windows were open! Marcus initially thought that I had opened the window. I assured him that I would not touch those garage windows, they are disgusting! And the alarm would not have allowed me to set the alarm the night before if the window had been open. The weird part about it was that the lock on the window was still engaged. So Marcus and my dad closed the window then we looked for signs of forced entry, and found none. The more and more we thought about it, it disturbed us. How could the bottom window go up over 12 inches by itself? We decided to make an official report so we called the sheriff's office and they sent a deputy. The officier felt the same way and felt that a report was the next step. We informed our 2 closest neighbors of the incident to make them aware. So now I am just hoping that this will be our last experience with this sort of thing. There is nothing more scary than thinking of how you can protect your baby. I was so thankful that Kaylee was not home when this happened I would have probably had to go sleep in her room to make myself feel better. I am sure she would have slept soundly through the whole ordeal.

No comments: