Thursday, October 30, 2008

Kindermusik

Kaylee and I have been going to Kindermusik class for the past 11 weeks now. Besides the first week of class Kaylee has done really well. She really enjoys being around the other children & moms and socializing with them. She loves the music and dance aspects of the class too. I see her practicing things we do in class with her stuffed animals at home. And she is ALWAYS asking me to play her Kindermusik CD! When Wednesday mornings roll around I love watching her reaction when I tell her "we are going to school today." She gets all excited.
Well yesterday she was playing with one of the boys in her class, then they began hugging. The hug turned into a tackle, much like Tahoe does to her on a daily basis. I didnt think anything of it, she is really affectionate towards others, and is used to being knocked around. Then all of a sudden she backed away and ran over to me saying "Unh-a unh-a." Which means NO in Kaylee language. She was upset but not crying, more of a fuss. I tried to assure her that she was ok. Then the mom of the other child came over to her and lifted up her shirt. There on her belly was a bite mark. I was appalled! I didnt even see it happen. I felt so sorry for her. The other mom quickly whisked her child out of the room. I tended to Kaylee, who at that point had joined the rest of the group and seemed to have forgotten about it. The mom and child returned a few minutes later and he approached Kaylee to try and apologize. Kaylee was VERY hesitant and tried to avoid him. Here he is trying to apologize and she is scared of being bitten again. This is our first experience with this sort of thing. Kaylee has seemed to be fine since the incident, every now and then she will show me her boo boo, but that is it. I am eager to see how she will react to the little boy next week in class, will she remember? Will she avoid him? Will she want to play with him? The experience I have had being Kaylee's mother is so incredibly different from being a preschool teacher. I thought that i was prepared for the things i would encounter being a parent, but i am finding more and more that is not the case. Mrs. Julie (my teachers assistant) always told me that it would be different when i was a mommy, I never really believed her......until now! Thanks for the advice Mrs. Julie and sorry I didnt listen to you sooner!

No comments: