Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Our Trip (the drive) -- part 1

Last week we started our big trip. After Marcus got my new tires, alignment, and car cleaned top to bottom and inside out; the girls and I started our 2 1/2 week long trip. The first leg of the trip was driving to St Louis for our family reunion. I knew the girls would be in the car a long time so I tried to break the trip up a bit by going early. We stayed (once again) at my friend Lindley's house. She is so gracious to let us stay there AND give us lots of space to spread out. The kids REALLY enjoy playing together, and we love to sit, chat and catch up. We stayed at her house for 2 nights, and Saturday morning we packed up and headed to the family reunion. Rain was in the forecast but it held off just enough for us to enjoy the beautiful day and the awesome company. It was such a perfect time! The girls ran and played until their legs fell off (literally Kaylee's knee issues started creeping back up on her). Then we jumped in the car and were on the road for the 2nd leg of the trip. Oh yeah, Marcus joined us for the family reunion after an eventful trip up. My brother, his girlfriend, and Marcus were scheduled to ride up in the same car after Marcus got off work Saturday morning. They got a late start, and after being on the road for about 30 miles, one of the tires blew out. Thankfully the Jetta has a full size spare, so they didnt have to wait around for some podunk tire shop to find the tires we needed. They ended up making up some time in the car and arrived just a bit late to the reunion.

Back to our 2nd leg of the trip.......we said goodbye to daddy and Amma, myself, and the girls drove to Nashville. We stopped for dinner in Paducah. Oh yeah how could I forget, I told the girls they had to take a nap (these are the children that NEVER sleep in the car), next thing I know Kaylee has slept for 2.5 hours! I was shocked! She slept through potty breaks and everything! Let me just say that that single nap exceeds the total amount of time she has ever slept in the car in her entire lifetime put together, it was a pretty big moment for us! We rolled into the hotel at about 10pm I gave the girls a quick sponge bath and quickly threw them into the bed, no books, no "routine", just straight into the bed. And they LOVED it! Both were so pooped from being in the car they just wanted to go to bed. Dad booked a suite for us, so I put Ainslee in the pack-n-play in the main room, Kaylee and I shared the bed closest to her. Mom and Mary were in the other bed, and in the other room my dad and Mary's boyfriend slept on the pullout couch. I was able to take a shower without disturbing the girls, and quickly climbed into bed to get as much sleep as possible for the next days drive.

We had a nice breakfast at the hotel, before getting a late start the next morning. Our drive turned out to be much longer than planned, but I can NOT say enough how awesome the girls did in the car. Kaylee took another 2 1/2 hour nap that day as well. The ONLY complaining we heard from them was when we were about 30 miles away from the condo in Florida. And rightfully so we had just driven 1400 miles in about 84 hours! I think they were strapped into those car seats for like 22 hours, I was surprised (and relieved) they did as well as they did!

We made it to Florida about 10:30pm, in enough time to literally throw them into the bed again. Ainslee ended up sleeping until almost noon the next day! Since then we have been in the pool as much as possible!



I was going share a video, but I forgot I had to upload it to youtube first because it isnt in an appropriate format for blogger. So you will have to wait to see a video of the pool rats!

No comments: