Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Saving $$$

Coupons

Rebates

Sales


These are my new best friends! I decided to quit being so "lazy" with our money. I decided to taking my shopping seriously. I mean I'm not exactly bringing IN any money, so i figured the way I can help out financially was to help stretch our dollars as faaaarrrrrrrrr as possible. And I figure as a rookie with no real training, Ive done pretty darn good. These past couple of months I have saved over $300 all using my 3 new friends I listed above. That's right THREE HUNDRED BUCKaROOS. For all you non-coupon clipping/bargain hunters it is NOT THAT DIFFICULT! I'm serious! I mean I still do splurge on purchases every now and then, especially when it comes to buying organic or locally grown food, but I have found ways to help our budget, and it is SO MUCH FUN! I sort of compete with myself to see how much I can save.

The above picture shows 2 packs of diapers, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, and a prescription...........and it was all FREE! I transferred a prescription to earn a $25 GC and then used coupons, sales, and rebates to make it all work.

One day I saved 56% when buying various groceries, diapers, and beer! Now let me tell you that 2 of those categories are REALLY expensive categories, and many of the groceries were fresh AND organic. So it might not sound like much but it was an amazing accomplishment for me! I just love coupons so much now! And rebates, oh rebates you are AMAZING!

The other day I was picking up a few sale items at Walgreen's (with coupons) and I noticed that beer was on sale AND a rebate offer. Marcus drinks Miller Lite, they had 12 packs (cans or bottles) on sale for $8.99, which isn't that great of a price, but if you purchased 2 AND $20 worth of other items in the store you could submit a $15 MIR. Basically I was going to spend that much on diapers and other items anyways so I bought my diapers with coupons (and received register rewards too) and submitted my MIR so I will basically got 24 bottles of beer for 3 bucks plus tax! That to me is a steal! I am making a point not to purchase things that we don't/wont use or need. I mean I might stock up on things if there is a sale, but only things like bathroom items. The other day I matched coupons for Right Guard deodorant with a sale at Schnucks and got them for $1 each. They are regularly $4 each.


Yesterday, I went to Kroger just to pick up a few necessities (bananas, yogurt, etc) and I had a Kroger store diaper coupon that was about to expire. They had diapers on sale (not a fabulous sale, but a little off the original price) when I got to the checkout I handed her my coupons, I thought I would try using 2 diaper coupons (the store coupon and one I had printed) when only buying one box of diapers. She scanned them both and they worked! As I was about to pay the lady said "hold on a second, I forgot to scan your diapers." (I had them under the cart because our stupid Kroger does not have 2 seater carts so Kaylee has to ride in the basket, which i absolutely HATE! anyways so some of my things have to go under the cart, and she must have missed the diapers, I don't see how seeing how they were a HUGE box, but whatever back to my story. So she scans the diapers and the computer automatically adds the coupon AGAIN! So I ended up getting $9 off ONE BOX of diapers! I do have to say that our Kroger has been really great with coupons!

Now I'm not going to lie, this new hobby isn't always easy, there is lots of prep work and research to do. More stops to make because you have to go to the store where the sales are, and in my case when I don't live near most stores that means a lot more driving. But all of the extra time and work are totally worth the money savings, especially to single income families!

Right now I am looking forward to the 3 $25 GC's I have for transferring prescriptions. THAT, my friends, is the easiest way to make a few extra bucks! And I have already gotten and used 2 other $25 GC's for transferring prescriptions. So that is $125 just for the few extra minutes it takes to transfer a prescription.

If any of you have any tips/ideas/advise for me, I am totally interested. I have been thinking of ways to organize my coupons that will work for me. And I really need to look into getting the paper too, I was using my parents, but they cancelled their subscription. Boohoo!

1 comment:

hughesfamily said...

Oh my gosh!!! This makes me SO happy!!!!!!!! Whoo hoo!!! You are an expert already!!! Love it. It just keeps getting more and more fun! Impressive. And, yes, I HIGHLY recommend the Sunday paper- even if you just buy it every week. Lots of coupons...plus the ads (especially for drugstore ones, so you can see diaper deals and things). Also, check out www.couponsavinggame.com (I think that is it...let me know if not), because they match up grocery store deals with coupons and put the link for printable ones. So, if you go to the Kroger part, they have all of the best deals and coupons for the weekly deals.