Monday, December 8, 2008

What can go wrong, will go wrong

I am on an endless journey to find gluten free products that taste good and are affordable. It seems like lately the "gluten free gods" are laughing at my ridiculous efforts! As soon as I find something that I like it becomes unavailable to me; either the store stops selling it, the product gets discontinued, or something else gets in the way of me and my yummy foods. I am just destined to suffer and eat the horrible tasting products that continue to crowd the shelves.

Earlier this year I found some gluten free oats. Not only do they taste just like the real ones but they are very very affordable (that is not a term one uses often when speaking of gluten free products). I remember stocking up on them buying out 2 different stores of all there stock and for about 2 months now I have seen my stash slowly dwindle as I frantically try to find them again. They are nowhere to be found. I have asked 3 separate stores to order them for me without any luck. Hopefully one will pull through for me and give me some good news this week.

Pizza crusts......now this is a topic that almost brings a year to my eye when I think about it. After trying about 6 different brands of crusts, I found an AWESOME one that I could add my own toppings. I prefer that over buying an already topped pizza. These crusts were thin crackery crusts, just how I like them. And best of all they were ridiculously affordable. All of a sudden one day they disappeared of the shelf of the only store in Memphis that carries them. I asked 2 different managers to order them only to find out about a month later that they can no longer purchase from that company. So I am not sure if that company stopped making them or if they just won't sell to my store. Another bummer!

Now on to my biscuits. I was hesitant to try these expensive little puppies at first. I paid a pretty hefty price for them, but was rewarded greatly in the end. It wasn't until I started preparing to make the biscuits when I realized that I needed a food processor. So I asked my friend Katie if I could come over to make and bake my gluten free biscuits at her house. She agreed and I went over and made my super delicious biscuits at her house. Kaylee and I enjoyed each and every bite of them, so much so that I took it upon myself to "help" Marcus with his Christmas shopping by buying myself a food processor (the costco coupon for $30 off helped ease my decision). So now armed with my own food processor I decided to go buy a few more boxes of biscuits, to my surprise when I went back to the store to purchase them.......guess what.......they no longer carry them. So I decided to ask the manager if there was any chance that they could order some more, I am waiting to hear back.

Also earlier this year I stumbled upon some gluten free brown rice tortillas (i know corn tortillas are gluten free, but these are not the same. Brown rice tortillas compare to a regular tortilla, they are soft like a burrito). I actually ordered these little delightful things online. I only bought one pack for fear that they would taste horrible like every other gluten free tortilla I have tried. But to my surprise they were delicious! I went immediately to order more from the same website and they were no longer selling them. I searched other sites and every store I could think of in the city of Memphis, but had no luck finding them again. Thankfully today when I was at Whole Foods, after the switch from Wild Oats they started carrying them so I bought all they had in stock. This is about the only good thing in my little "gluten free world" that is going my way at this time. Hopefully someone will invent some yummy products and start selling them to the stores in Hawaii so I won't starve while we are there!

1 comment:

Confessions said...

AH! You'll still use that food processor...I promise!! :)