Thursday, September 30, 2010

Knoxville

Last weekend, WE, as in Marcus and I, WITHOUT the girls, loaded up and drove to the other side of the state. Marcus's sister gave him 2 tickets to the UAB game for his birthday (an early present). My parents were already planning on going up that weekend too, because it was parent's weekend. My sister volunteered to keep the girls, and all the pieces just fell into place. It was nice! It was relaxing! It was the first time we have been away from both girls for more than a night. Oh how we needed it! Friday, we got a later start than planned, somebody in our family has trouble keeping a timeline, Im not naming names. That same somebody has trouble packing more than minutes before we leave too. Ugh, how I hate to be off schedule. So back to the trip, we arrived later, MUCH later than originally planned. Partly because of the late departure, and partly because even without kids we still managed to stop 3 (maybe it was 4) times on the short 5 hour trip. The 2nd stop we decided to get a bite to eat. We didnt really "plan" where we were going to eat, and the signs on the highway just werent clear, so when we got off the exit we were supposed to turn left, but were somehow in a right only lane. We go down the road a bit and turn off into a gas station, thinking we will just turn around and go left. Well there was NO LEFT TURNS (I think there was a median), so we both chuckled and went down the outer road and attempted to turn left, so we could make another left onto the main road, but there was NO LEFT TURN again! It was quite comical at this point. So Marcus had to turn right, make a U turn, and then turn left in order to get on the correct road, going the correct direction. After lunch we got back on the road, but not before a few more detours. There was one sign saying 40E turn left and another sign 40E pointing right. We were in the right lane so we choose right. Well that was another WRONG TURN! HA! We were driving down an outer road of the highway and ended up getting on at the next onramp.

The next stop was scheduled. Earlier in the week, I had spotted a deal at Rite Aid that when I combined coupons, the sale, and the rebates I could get 3 packages of diapers for FREE! I tried going to our local Rite Aid, who were conveniently sold out of said diapers, so I figured we would stop in Nashville. After a short detour, we finally found it the place, and guess what......they were sold out too. I was pissed! In part because I was missing out on the free dipes but also because that meant the stop was pointless. UGH! I cant win! We continued on our way, arriving in Knoxville just in time for the 2nd half of the Woman's soccer match. This was about the only thing that went our way that day, they dont charge for late comers, so we didnt have to pay to get in, UT won (with 3 minutes left in the game), my mom caught a tiny soccer ball that she gave the girls, oh and I got to googoo over women's soccer, just enough to make me wish I could still play. Sitting there watching them play on the same field I had played 13 years earlier as my career opener as a University of Memphis Tiger, almost brought tears to my eyes. I still remember that game, I remember our team played like CRAP, everyone, except me (im not trying to be conceited by saying that), I was just the only one who did anything in that game, I was so excited about playing, I just went all out. It was a memorable game for me! Soccer was always such a huge part of my life, I mean I did start playing when I was just 3 years old (1982) and didnt stop until 2006! So for 24 years I played soccer all over the country, indoor, outdoor, competetive, rec, high school, Olympic Development, college, and co-ed, im telling you people I ate, drank, slept and PLAYED SOCCER! It was my life! And I let that part of me die! I feel like my only connection now is watching the World Cup once every 4 years. BOO!

While I was feeling all sad and envious of the girls down on the field I began feeling a little sympathy pain for them, every hard hit, I felt myself cringe. Tackles that used to be so much a part of my life suddenly looked EXTREMELY painful! I was glad i was not playing that night, but part of me wishes that I could kick it around a little every now and then.

After the game we all ate dinner together. Marcus enjoyed the $1 beer special, while I took advantage of the $5 martini. One was enough for me, but it was DELISH! I think my meal would have been better withOUT the gluten! It sure tasted good, but my stomach wasnt too happy the next morning. Thankfully it was just "contamination" mostly likely due to the fact that they fry their french fries in the same oil as other "breaded" items. It took me a couple hours and a few tums the next day to get to feeling somewhat normal. We enjoyed walking down the strip, perusing a few stores to find a couple new UT shirts, and people watching. Knoxville on game day is one of the BEST people watching places around! We made our way to our seats just in time for the pregame festivities, and the game began. It was a GREAT 1st half! My little brother and my parents asked if we wanted to come sit down by them, so at halftime we went down there. Im not sure if it was because we changed seats or our boys got a little tired but the 2nd half wasnt so good. We barely squeaked away with the win in DOUBLE overtime (we were leading by like 20 at halftime). It was a fun time! after the game we stopped at a bar to have some drinks and some appetizers while we watched the other college games. John's roommate and his parents joined us as well. And they are pretty awesome! We had a great time talking with them and are definitely looking forward to the next visit with them. We all went back to John's dorm after that, and hung out for a little while, and let me tell you that did NOT make me miss dorm life! I also got to see how my little bro lives, and met lots of his friends. It was late and we were all so hungry, but mom and dad were too tired to eat, so the 3 of us went to get a bite to eat. I was so tired too, I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow, which NEVER happens! The next morning we got to sleep in and enjoy a fabulous early lunch before heading home. We only stopped once on the way home, which made the trip MUCH faster too! While we both missed the kids, I really enjoyed spending time with Marcus, and wish we could do that more often.

oh and as soon as I download the pictures from the camera I will post a few.

No comments: