Thursday, July 10, 2008

Puerto Vallarta - The Food

Our internet has been going crazy for the past couple of days now,
and I have finally gotten a chance to use it when it is working.
So i decided to write a little bit more about our trip to Mexico.
I guess I will start with the food. When we arrived we went straight to our resort , dropped off our luggage, and then got something to eat at the restaurant in our resort. Good food but pricey. I was taught the most important thing I have ever learned about Mexican food that day. (Well it is important and really interesting to me, and others with a gluten sensitivity.) Quesadillas are traditionally made out of CORN tortillas NOT flour! They are not like the stiff , but "soft" corn tortillas you buy here. They have the exact same consistency as the flour ones and they are soft, chewy, and irresistible. I thought I had stepped into heaven! They said that Americans are the ones that started using flour, and in Mexico you can ask for them either way but almost everywhere serves them with corn. Let me just tell you I could hold my own with those little puppies, eating upwards of 8 at a meal along with other food. Now before you freak out about that number remember they are about 6 inches wide (smaller than the fajita tortillas you can get here). But either way I was impressed by my appetite. And Kaylee even ate 2 1/2 at one meal. Like mother like daughter. There was a quesadilla stand at our restaurant with a lady hand making the tortillas and then you pick your ingredients for her to put in them for you. I asked her if she could come to our room to be my private chef, but I think there was a bit of a language barrier there. So decided I would have taken her home in my suitcase if she would have fit.......man those things were good!
Overall I did not have too much trouble with the food like I had anticipated. I don't think I ever ate any gluten, well at least not enough to make me hurt or anything. So that was really nice! Monday we just kind of hung out close to our resort went swimming and then went to a local restaurant called PiPi's. It was fabulous! We had a great time watching Kaylee sneak bites from the guacamole that was made at our table......Yum! She was dipping every bite into it and sometimes she would just dip it and then lick it off and dip again. My little Mexican baby! I can't seem to remember a bad exprience with food the entire trip! Every place we went we had great food and great service! The service in Mexico is unmatched! They are awesome! I mean there is not a restaurant i have ever been to that even compares to the service we received there. My favorite restaurant was Barcelona Tappas but PiPi's (which I went to twice) was a close second.

(I have pictures to that go with this posting but I have to get them off my moms computer, so i will add them as soon as I can)

No comments: