Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Puerto Vallarta - Bus Adventure

My stories of Mexico would not be complete with out my little bus adventure story. Let me start by saying that I was completely comfortable taking the much cheaper version of transportation and had done so successfully many times before this little outing.

I think my mom and dad were out on an all day excursion this particular day, so Kaylee and I went by ourselves to visit the others at their hotel in town. I had gotten there on the bus and thought nothing about taking the bus home. Well apparently I had gotten on the wrong bus by accident. Obviously, I mean who would get on the wrong bus on purpose?!? So by the time I realized my mistake it was too late and I had no idea what to do except wait. I kept saying to myself we have to start back towards civilization soon! But we just kept heading out farther and farther away and father up the mountain. So after being on the bus for nearly 50 minutes the lady in front of me turned around and said "donde _____?" (I only caught the first word) And all I could remember from high school Spanish was that she said where, donde means where. I told her I was going to the marina. She laughed then turned to the bus driver and said something to which he laughed. I was like "thanks guys, as if I am not already upset enough, just go ahead and laugh at me too." About 100 yards up the road if that is was you call the washed away dirt path that we were driving on, the bus driver flagged down a bus going the opposite direction and stoped next to it. He said something to the driver and motioned for me to get off so I did and got on the other bus. Somewhat relieved that I would be headed back to civilization, I was even more relieved when I saw an American couple on the bus with me. So after about another 40 minutes we pulled out from the middle of nowhere and onto a paved road, we were less than 5 minutes from where we needed to go. The bus driver made an unscheduled stop to let us off about 1 mile away from our resort. So instead of getting on another bus to take us straight to our resort we decided to hoof it. The other couple was staying in the resort next to ours. They told me of there little adventure on the bus that day too so I didn't feel quite as bad at least I wasn't the only one. But they had each other and all I had was my baby which I was scared to death for. As scared as I was, i felt somewhat safer having her with me. I learned that day that Mexicans really respect mothers and I thought that having her with me made it better. So when I finally made it into the room all I wanted to do was cry and throw up. But my parents were still not back from their trip and Kaylee was dying for dinner so I didn't have time to get upset. I thought that after my ride through the "other side of PV" I would not be able to ride the bus again. But I quickly recovered and rode the bus many more times I just made sure that it was the marina bus! And through all that one of kaylee's shoes had come off and got lost. It was one of my most favorite pairs too. But I was most thankful for the mei tai carrier Bethany let me borrow for the trip it was a life saver during this bus ride!

No comments: