Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Time Out Terror

My well behaved, "easy" baby has hit the terrible twos! Im sure part of it is due to the influences from her older sister, who I have caught MANY times lately telling Ainslee to do something she shouldnt do. But let me just tell you about an incident that happened the other day.

Ainslee had to go to time out for something, I cant even remember what it was for now. So I put her in TO and told her why she was there, I knew immediately she was going to give me a run for my money. It started from the moment I placed her on the TO chair, she got up immediately and ran for the couch. I put her back, she got up again and again and again and again and again, probably close to 100 times she got up. At first she thought it was funny, then she tried the potty tactic, when she got tired she crawled away from the TO chair. Then she tried hugging me to make me feel sorry for her, she tried the potty excuse again, then the spitting began. She spit shined the chair, then the door next to the potty chair, then her legs and arms, and finally the wall. After about 20 minutes of this up and down, off the chair back on the chair, she began to get tired, so she started asking to go to bed. I persisted and put her back on the chair. She still fought me, but she was taking a few breathers in between escape attempts, she would sit for about 1 minute (1/2 of her TO) I wanted to just tell her if you sat for 1 more minute this would be over! Then she decided that she didnt want to sit in the chair she wanted to sit on the floor, which was fine by me as long as she stayed in the TO "area", but that didnt last long before she was escaping again. With all the climbing on and off the chair she claimed to have hurt her finger. I still put her back in TO (dont anyone call CPS, I did check to make sure her finger was ok).

are you guys tired yet? cause I was sweating and had to change from pants to shorts

She still, after 30 minutes, had not done her TO, and she STILL thought it was funny and a joke! Thats when more potty excuses came. Then she was driving the chair like a car, she even made the sounds too. Then she got a little burst of energy and made her way to the couch and began jumping up and down on it. She was saying "all done time out" over and over. And after 44 minutes of fighting the light bulb turned on in her head and she realized I wasnt going to back down, so she sat in the TO chair for 2 minutes. Afterwards I asked her why she was in TO and she said "A-yeah bold". I tried not to laugh and I asked her what she did and she told me. I remember thinking, I couldnt believe that that little booger remembered what she had done after all that time. She said she was sorry and that was that. I was proud of myself for sticking with it, and showing her that she must do what I say. Marcus and I made the decision before having children we would not spank (even though I was spanked as a child and thought it was ok) Once I sat down and thought about it I knew that I didnt want to go that route with discipline. I know this whole discipline thing wasnt going to be easy and I dont expect it to be, even with the 2 ANGELS I have been blessed with. I sure hope that we dont have anymore TO's like that in the future!

3 comments:

*Princess Mommy* said...

I admire your persistence. Hides would've been tanned in the DeFir home :)
Nice work mommy!

Rachel said...

Haha! 2 year olds and time out. Good times! My younger 2 were like that..S T U B B O R N. I tell everyone there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Our youngest was a borderline monster from about 18months-3 1/2 and now he is the sweetest thing around. Be stubborn back it pays off--eventually!

Amma B said...

Yeah, PERSISTENCE, and on YOUR part...that's what i always admired about YOU: glad your getting some back...you know what i mean...i was rolling on the floor...she's her mother's daughter!!!